Americans With Disabilities (ADA) Policy

Baker University is committed to providing “reasonable accommodations” in keeping with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disability Act of 1992. Students must provide appropriate documentation of the disability, which should include appropriate diagnostic testing and a recommendation form prepared by qualified personnel outside of Baker University. “Reasonable accommodations” will be determined by University staff in consultation with the student, faculty and/or staff member. Accommodations are not retroactive.

Examples of accommodations include, but are not limited to, advocacy, extended test time, testing environment with minimal distractions, note-taking services, assistive technology, assessment referral, registration assistance, accessibility, and liaison to University academic service areas and to community agencies.

Baker University staff provides accommodations only in the sense that they send confidential letters to faculty or administrative staff (in the cases of housing or dining services) explaining the nature of the student’s disability and suggested accommodations. These support services are designed to equalize opportunities for students with disabilities, not to lower academic standards or to alter the essential nature of the degree requirements. To that end, accommodations at Baker University do not include the following:

  • Reduced standards of academic performance
  • Special classes or programs for students with learning disabilities
  • Evaluation or diagnostic testing of learning disabilities
  • Separate or special tutorial programs for students with disabilities
  • Waivers of essential academic courses

Although certain facilities are not fully accessible to physically handicapped persons, Baker University will take such actions as are necessary to ensure that no qualified person is denied the benefits of, excluded from participation in, or use of any programs or activities provided by the University. Baker will meet federal standards of accessibility by reassignment of classes or other services to accessible locations, or through alterations or new construction. Structural changes to existing facilities will not be required where other methods are sufficient to comply with the federal standards as published.

Students at the Baldwin City campus seeking accommodations should contact the Student Academic Services (SAS) Office located on that campus (785.594.8352). Students at the School of Nursing (SON) should contact the Student Affairs Specialist at the SON campus (785.354.5850). Students enrolled in all other programs or campuses should contact the ADA Compliance Officer located at the Overland Park, Kan., campus (913.491.4432).